Re: PMON

From: Uwe Weber <uwe.weber_at_teleos-web.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:23:10 +0200

Hi Mladen,

thanks for your reply.

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 00:12:35 +0200, Uwe Weber wrote:
>

>> Yes, he has something about dead client detection and sqlnet.expire_time
>> but the things the Oracle supporter said about an event that would
>> possibly do the same thing without involving the network looked
>> promising. But googling web and groups came up empty, so maybe he has
>> just confused the sqlnet parameter with an event?

> UWe, PMON will wait for the processes to roll back their own
> transactions. There is no PMON event that will prevent that.

And I am thankfull for that :->. I do not want to get rid of the rollback but of dangling processes whose transactions were not rolled back and which were not terminated before the application reconnected. Or in other words: I am looking for a way to start the rollback and end the orphaned server processes before the app connects to the instance again.

> What you can do on a Unix/Linux platform is to gently move the
> corresponding server process, visible in V$PROCESS, to another
> plane of existence, usually by kill -9 <pid>.

And it looks like this will be the way to go, because the network people have 'concerns' about sqlnet.expire_time's control packets. I will just script a 'lost connection recovery script' that gets rid of all (user-) sessions and processes that were there before the loss of connection.

> When you kill the server process, PMON will roll back the transaction
> and release any locks or latches that process might have held before
> passing through the Pearly Gates. You will still have to wait for the
> transaction rollback to complete. If you were trying to delete 10,000,000
> rows from a BFT (very big table, an expression known to any Doom player),
> you will still have to wait for rollback and locks to be released. There
> is no other way. Even if you do shutdown abort and startup, you will still
> have to wait for that undo.

I was not looking for a way to get rid of the rollback. There is not much potential for rollback in this app anyway, it is read mostly, has near to no updates and some small inserts that are commited the moment they are received by the db. And of course there is never ever anything deleted :-(.

Thanks again,
uwe   Received on Thu Apr 12 2007 - 14:23:10 CDT