Re: XMLType performance

From: peteh <phazzard_at_intellicare.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2007 11:03:07 -0700

Business scenario in support of native XML storage and DML (to Serge's point re: volatile schemas):
* Want to store and query prioject plans in relational db, so I can query with existing information delivery tools (BI Query, BIRT, Crystal Reports, whatever) and deliver over the web to business users. * Project plans from product A can be exported to well-formed XML docs, but I can't count on the vendor changing the document schema - adding columns, rearranging etc
* Relational DBMS product A (hint - Serge knows quite a bit about this product...) :-), allows me to import the XML doc into a native XML column type (with other relational columns to provide description of project - e.g. version, creator, etc) and query with a hybrid XQuery/ SQL syntax
* I build a simple stored proc to render reports at a task and/or resource level - even across projects.

How would you do this without native XML support and avoid the potentially whimsical changes of XML document format and content? Just asking...

Pete H

DA Morgan wrote:
> Serge Rielau wrote:

<snip>