Re: test restore

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 12 Apr 2007 02:22:08 -0700

On Apr 12, 5:05 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:14:13 -0700, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org>
> > wrote:
>
> >> I'd recommend you put Veritas away and use RMAN.
>
> >> It has two things that make it far superior.
> >> 1. It works.
> >> 2. It is free.
>
> > It has one thing that makes it inferior: it doesn't backup directly to
> > tape, and you need extra programs to interface it to a tape libary.
> > Third party vendors however often call a limited version of RMAN,
> > instead of having RMAN calling the third party COTS.
>
> Backup sets can be created on disk, or on media manager devices such as
> tape drives.
>
> By default, RMAN creates all backups as backup sets, on tape or on disk.
> You can change the default backup type for disk backups to be image
> copies using the CONFIGURE command. Backups to tape can only be backup sets.
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14194/r...
>
> Am I missing something?
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> damor..._at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Quoting from your reply adding stress
> Backup sets can be created on disk, or on *media manager devices* such as
> tape drives.

So can RMAN backup directly to tape? (ie /dev/rmt/0) *without any extra software*? I don't think so.
And if your 'media manager software' doesn't allow RMAN to call the Media Manager software, it is pretty useless. Backup Exec can call RMAN, but RMAN can't communicate with Backup Exec, because Backup Exec has no facilities for that, so there won't be any info on tapes being used in your catalog database.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA