Re: XMLType performance

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:27:27 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:
> The Geek Inside wrote:

>> Hello there,
>>
>> I'm involved in a project with many XML managment and I'm evaluating
>> using the XMLType to store several information types in XML structures
>> and extract information from these.
>>
>> This is the first time using XMLType, I would like to get some
>> feedback about the preformance using XMLType.
>>
>> The system will have many queries to this information.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

> I would never store XML inside a database if it could be reconstituted
> on demand.
>
> Without knowing the full set of requirements my initial reaction would
> be ... never store XML.
>
> Consider the scability and storage of:
> <thisisareallylongtag>1</thisisareallylongtab>
> To which you can add the lack of relational integrity.
When a schema is highly volatile, e.g. tax-return forms, XML beats relational hands down. Tables are so...square. Also XML documents can contain electronic signatures. Shredding and reconstitution can cause serious headache to that end. What I see is that XML is stored in the database, but the core reference   attributes are pulled out into regular column for quick processing (and RI enforcement, ..).

The right tool for the right job.
Cheers
Serge

--