Re: Large table and buffer cache concerns

From: DA Morgan <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:49:43 -0700

>> I am sure you have a reason but I doubt it is a good one.
>> If that is not the reason ... I've enjoy being enlightened.
>> Because I've a remarkably good idea of how the largest retail websites
>> in the world do it and that's not it.
>> --

> Hello Daniel,
> The example was just that, a half baked, Jonny on the spot, how
> can I put this into a pseudo analogy. So, yup; my provided analogy
> doesn't hold water in the real world.
> So lets see if I can be a bit clearer without being too specific
> about the application I'm working on.
> Three tier architecture:
> client
> app server
> database
> With the app server layer distributing the client load, and
> shuffling clients between various app servers. Again, there is a
> reason, but not one I'm at liberty to discuss. When the client is
> moved between app servers, instead of the two app servers exchanging
> what they have in RAM, they flush the state of the customer to the
> database and inform the new app server to load what it needs from the
> database.

You've replaced a description of one dumb thing with a description of another.

The only good solution starts with a match and a couple liters of petrol.

Hire an architect and fix the problem. Then call someone selling Fusion Middleware and buy the correct tools for the job.

Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
(replace x with u to respond)
Puget Sound Oracle Users Group