Re: Update inside cursor loop

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 02:44:18 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:12:59 -0700, dwmccay wrote:

> My table has a NUMBER field that has been used as a date field (setup by
> someone else). 12012006 would be 12/01/2006, 7042006 would be 7/04/2006.
> I have recently added a DATE field to the table. I am trying to write
> something that will take the NUMBER, re-format it, and UPDATE the DATE
> field in the same record. I figured out how to slice up the number into
> month day and year chunks with the SUBSTR function as long as I do 8
> digit and 7 digit numbers seperately. Running two versions of the
> program will not be a problem. This is what I have so far:
>
> declare
> cursor d1 is
> select fuelfilldate, fuel_fill_dt2 from lincbase.genrawdata
> where fuel_fill_dt2 is null and length(to_char(fuelfilldate)) = 8
> for update of fuel_fill_dt2;
> begin
> for gen_rec in d1 loop
> gen_rec.fuel_fill_dt2 :=
> to_date(substr(gen_rec.fuelfilldate,-8,2) || '/' ||
> substr(to_char(gen_rec.fuelfilldate),-6,2) || '/' ||
> substr(to_char(gen_rec.fuelfilldate),-4),'mm/dd/yyyy'); end loop;
> end;
> /
>
> It runs without errors however it does not appear to actually do
> anything. The fuelfilldate field is the NUMBER, the fuel_fill_dt2 is the
> DATE field.

I beg your pardon, I am not trying to be funny here, but where is the actual update statement? Where is Waldo? How do you expect Oracle to update anything without the actual update command? RPM function is not planned until Oracle 24F and even then only in the EE edition. RPM, of course, stands for "Read Programmer's Mind".

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com