PMON

From: Uwe Weber <uwe.weber_at_teleos-web.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:23:22 +0200

Hi all,

yesterday some maintenance tech decided that it was save to swap one of the interfaces on our firewall. Unfortuntaley, it was not. All connections from users to our web application were cut off. Which left our main production instance (10.1) with about 400 sessions whose clients were gone. First salvo of prority one calls hits the helpdesk. So far, so bad.

I would have expected that PMON should find and kill the orphaned servers processes ( we use dedicated server ), but it did not. When the firewall came back online, the number of server processes doubled and used up all remaining memory of our AIX LPAR. OS began to swap and db response time went through the roof ( next salvo of priority one calls, Director of IT operations comes into DBA office 'inquiring').

Luckily the systems people had another 4 GIG of RAM to add to the 16 GB already allocated to the LPAR and db perfomance began to recover.

Today I asked an Oracle Corp onsite consultant why PMON did not get rid of the old server processes. He told me that he did not know the algorithm that determines PMON's behaviour, but that it could take up to nine hours before it kills orphaned servers. But there should be an event, whose event number he does not remember, that starts the cleanup immediately.

So my questions are: What is number of this event? Has anybody already used it in a similar situation and did it work as expected?

Any other suggestions, hints or tips to cope with a situation like this?

Thanks in advance,
uwe     Received on Wed Apr 11 2007 - 15:23:22 CDT