de-duplication during backups

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:27:03 -0400

Has anyone used 'deduplication' appliances for db backups? If yes, did you have any positive results?

Such as the ones offered by Quantum:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/121106-quantum-deduplication.html

I know it wouldn't make much sense for RMAN lvl1, but what if you store multiple lvl0's on the same device.

It might also not work well with 10g compressed backups, depending on how the compression works.

Plus there is also that chance one in some billions that the device makes a mistake on identifying identical blocks.

If there are any articles, or white papers that you could point on regarding oracle running backups to such devices, I'd appreciate.

Thanks
We run Oracle 9iR2,10gR1/2 on RH4/RH3 and Solaris 10 (Sparc) remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Apr 11 2007 - 09:27:03 CDT