Re: After adding memory on a server...

From: <klimenkor_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2007 16:16:05 -0700

On Apr 10, 8:52 am, "mtn_bik..._at_msn.com" <mtn_bik..._at_msn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We having problem on a Oracle 8.1.7 server (unable to allocate
> memory)... I see that I reach all of the memory on the server (2Go).
> I add memory on the server, my server have now 4Go of RAM. But we
> have the same error message and the RAM did not takes over the 2Go.
>
> We have parameters to adjust after adding memory? Does Oracle
> allocate the PGA with the unused memory on the server?
>
> Thanks.

If you have 32-bit Windows you have to add /3G parameter in your boot.ini file to be able to use that extra Gigs (before you start tuning Oracle memory parameters) -
ulti(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Server" /fastdetect /3G

Only after that Windows will reserve 1G for it's needs and allow other application to use 3G. Since 32-bit Windows is limited by 4G RAM this is maximum you can do.

In case you have 64-bit Windows take a look here - http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000811.html

Hope it helps

Roman
Sr. DBA (Oracle/SQL) Received on Tue Apr 10 2007 - 18:16:05 CDT