Re: Shared Memory and Semaphores

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 10 Apr 2007 14:43:40 -0700

On Apr 9, 10:03 pm, "peter" <hhh.datab..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I have doubt in both of these.
> Don't you think oracle is taking to much shared memory and semaphores
> are on these server.
> It's a test server, there so many databases are here on it.
> Please provide any link, which can help me to find that how much
> shared memory and semaphores are good for current databases.

Go to metalink and search for:
semaphores unix

Note:1011658.6 and its links are a good place to start. There's also some docs there somewhere that explain how to associate the ipcs key with the instance.

You might want to show SGA on each of your instances and think about whether they could be shrunk. But if you aren't swapping and each instance doesn't have much in the way of significant waits and you followed the suggestions in the install guides with seasoning for multiple instances, you may not need to do much. You might be more concered about how old the oracle version is.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Bailiff, whack his peepee."  http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070410/news_1n10diocese.html