Re: Prophecy Regarding Future of Oracle DBAs

From: <klimenkor_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2007 13:52:13 -0700

On Apr 8, 8:07 pm, "takv..._at_gmail.com" <takv..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Morning Everyone,
>
> Just wanted to share my observation regarding Oracle. If we compare
> when Oracle 7 with what we have right now i.e. Oracle 10g. Its
> completely evident that many processes that were the headache of a
> DBA
> now controlled by Oracle automatically. Keeping in mind the flow/
> trend
> of development of Oracle software, I think may be Oracle 21g would be
> having everything automated and controlled by the Genie itself. DBA
> jobs would marely be to develop the database only just like we do in
> MS
> Access. All maintainence would be taken care of by the Oracle Genie.
> It means less opportunities in Oracle DBA field eventually ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Asim Abbasi
> .:|:. Takveen, Inc.
> Website:www.takveen.com

I have to disagree. I have another idea. In short - more lamerfriendly  becomes a product more need in expert in case of trouble. It's like when everyone knows to use calculator and abruptly it stops working there is need in someone who still knows how to multiply/ divide numbers on piece of paper. Kinda sci-fi case but this is what happens in MSSQL world. This is what will happen with Oracle with time (when it become even more lamer-friendly). Everyone is able to use wizard to install Oracle database. With 10g it became much faster than with previous versions. It's so easy! Right? Nobody talks about impact on your system if installation was not done right. If there is something - let's call DBA.
Simple way to backup/restore database in SQL Enterprise manager is a cool feature for our PMs. But even after spending years of educating them not to use C: drive for restoring database they still use default location. After there is no space left for Windows to run they call for DBA. I gave you an example of extremely primitive case. But it just an example.