Re: Oracle, Linux & OFA - Fevered Dreams?

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 9 Apr 2007 12:25:44 -0700

On Apr 8, 7:44 pm, "Jack" <jrsc..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
> I tried to install Oracle 10g R2 on RHEL 4 Linux this weekend and it
> was a nightmare.
>
> Since Oracle is pushing people to use the OFA architecture for
> installations, especially for multiple version on the same box, I
> decided to use this structure for the installation. I configured LVM
> space for the Oracle installation using a mount point of /u01/app/
> oracle as the ORACLE_BASE and created $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0.1.0
> as ORACLE_HOME. I modified the PATH environment variable to have
> $ORACLE_HOME/bin at the front.
>
> After fighting the Oracle Universal Installer for an hour (xhost
> problems among other things), I got it working(?). Despite setting the
> environmental variables for the user oracle to the values that I chose
> and selecting the /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0.1.0 directory on OUI
> for the ORACLE_HOME, the OUI decided to install a lot of modules in
> the /oracle/home/oracle directory and make a mess of things in
> general. Why did the OUI decided to used the /oracle/home/oracle
> directory after I "told" it to use the /u01 directory??? One of the
> minor problems was that it created this directory and made root its
> owner and then it refused to read and aborted because the OUI user was
> oracle??? It was one problem after another of a similar nature. I
> NEVER had such stupid problems like this with Sybase installations on
> any operating system.
>
> My question is: Does Oracle treat Linux like it is a Microsoft OS?
> Does Oracle put the installation where it wants to put it and not
> where you want it? I had the same problem when I installed Oracle
> Express on Linux a while ago. It looks like Oracle does not consider
> Linux to be a real Unix OS. Or is the OFA message a bunch of BS?

No the OFA message makes a lot of sense.

What you may be missing in your installation attempt is a knowledge of the "oracle inventory".

It's kind of a repository and a set of pointers that helps the installer know what has been installed and patched on your system ( in various/multiple oracle homes ).

When you have multiple versions of different oracle products installed on the same machine you need to be aware of and protect the oracle inventory as well as the different installed products.

There's a couple of approaches that people typically take after some fun learning experiences ( I guess that means you are having fun now ).

One way is to "copy off and rename the various oracle inventories" so that each set of logically related oracle home's has it's own inventory. Then if you need to maintenance against those homes get this stuff back to where it should be, do the maintenance, back it up again, rename it again, etc. Received on Mon Apr 09 2007 - 14:25:44 CDT