Re: ORACLE OS Audit Logs

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 9 Apr 2007 12:00:17 -0700

On Apr 9, 1:23 pm, "GABJOS" <siky..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
> Is there a way within Oracle that you can configure the type of
> information that you want to appear in Operating System audit logs. I
> know the audit_actions parameter lists the action codes and their
> definitions. I see that in my audit logs only the action code appears.
> This information is not useful because I have to refer back to the
> definitions. I would like the definitions to appear in my audit logs.
> Does anyone know how I can do that?

You cannot. Per the Oracle documentation:

"Operating System Audit Records
The operating system audit trail is encoded, but it is decoded in data dictionary files and error messages.

Action code describes the operation performed or attempted. The AUDIT_ACTIONS data dictionary table describes these codes.

Privileges used describes any system privileges used to perform the operation. The SYSTEM_PRIVILEGE_MAP table describes all of these codes.

Completion code describes the result of the attempted operation. Successful operations return a value of zero, and unsuccessful operations return the Oracle error code describing why the operation was unsuccessful."

Even though the O/S audit log content cannot be modified it is possible to use that log as an external table and write a query to return the codes and the 'missing pieces' from the data dictionary views/tables.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Apr 09 2007 - 14:00:17 CDT