Re: Prophecy Regarding Future of Oracle DBAs

From: Arun Mathur <themathurs_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2007 11:51:11 -0700

On Apr 9, 1:16 pm, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 08:19:07 -0700, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Have you learned UML? How to install and configure Application Server
> >and other Fusion Middleware components? Learned to implement Version
> >Queries and ROWDEPENDENCY and Data Guard and RAC?
>
> The answer for me to several of them is NO, and this will continue as
> 'database independent' apps continue to hit the market, because
> basically they don't implement any post 7.3 feature.
> I'm afraid though the sales figures of those 'database independent'
> apps are way higher, than anything developed by Oracle, so I don't
> think this answer is very realistic.
>
> --
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I personally raise a red flag when an architect tells me he/she is putting together a database independent product. It implies that they are treating Oracle as a "dumping ground" as opposed to a true computing environment. As a result, the support staff goes to chaos when these types of database independent applications don't scale well.

This is a sticky topic for me, one of which is summed quite well in Tom Kyte's 1st Chapter of Effective Oracle By Design.

Regards,
Arun Received on Mon Apr 09 2007 - 13:51:11 CDT