Re: Can I remove a table from the recycle bin?

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2007 07:41:20 -0700

On Apr 9, 5:00 am, sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> On 8 Apr 2007 17:43:35 -0700, "Mark D Powell" <Mark.Pow..._at_eds.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Mladen is right, developers should not have the authority to issue
> >ALTER SYSTEM commands. ALTER SESSION maybe, but definitely not ALTER
> >SYSTEM.
>
> >IMHO -- Mark D Powell --
>
> Are you aware how many third party developers require CONNECT,
> RESOURCE and DBA privileges for their software?
> Are you aware that there is a developer called Oracle, which also
> requires those privileges (and doesn't protect any account with a
> proper password).
>
> Do you know of any third party developer NOT requiring those
> privileges?
> Because I don't.
>
> --

Of course, CONNECT, RESOURCE, and DBA are *not* privileges, but defined collections of privileges called ROLES. A fact that many (most? all?) of these lazy developers lose sight of, and then come to grief on when the next version of Oracle comes out and the privileges granted out of the box to those roles has changed. Compare CONNECT in 10.2 vs. the same in anything prior to 10.

Once again Sybrand's favorite phrase comes to mind ... "therein lies the road to hell." Received on Mon Apr 09 2007 - 09:41:20 CDT