Re: Oracle, Linux & OFA - Fevered Dreams?

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 13:52:47 +0200

Jack schreef:
> I tried to install Oracle 10g R2 on RHEL 4 Linux this weekend and it
> was a nightmare.
>
> Since Oracle is pushing people to use the OFA architecture for
> installations, especially for multiple version on the same box, I
> decided to use this structure for the installation. I configured LVM
> space for the Oracle installation using a mount point of /u01/app/
> oracle as the ORACLE_BASE and created $ORACLE_BASE/product/10.2.0.1.0
> as ORACLE_HOME. I modified the PATH environment variable to have
> $ORACLE_HOME/bin at the front.

OFA does not mean you needed lobotomy; thinking is still required. There is *no reason* to use /u01/app - it is nowhere in the OFA, except in some examples.

> After fighting the Oracle Universal Installer for an hour (xhost
> problems among other things), I got it working(?). Despite setting the
> environmental variables for the user oracle to the values that I chose
> and selecting the /u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0.1.0 directory on OUI
> for the ORACLE_HOME, the OUI decided to install a lot of modules in
> the /oracle/home/oracle directory and make a mess of things in

What modules? Did you actually read up on the installer, or did you just treat it as any average user would: fire it up and see where it fails?

> general. Why did the OUI decided to used the /oracle/home/oracle
> directory after I "told" it to use the /u01 directory??? One of the
> minor problems was that it created this directory and made root its
> owner and then it refused to read and aborted because the OUI user was

Welcome to a working security model!
> oracle??? It was one problem after another of a similar nature. I
> NEVER had such stupid problems like this with Sybase installations on
> any operating system.
>
> My question is: Does Oracle treat Linux like it is a Microsoft OS?
> Does Oracle put the installation where it wants to put it and not
> where you want it? I had the same problem when I installed Oracle
> Express on Linux a while ago. It looks like Oracle does not consider
> Linux to be a real Unix OS. Or is the OFA message a bunch of BS?

Yes, OFA is BS - you just have to *understand* it, and deploy it on your systems as you see fit.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...