Re: installation problem 9i

From: Keith <kknauss_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2007 20:19:13 -0700

On Apr 7, 11:48 am, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> sybra..._at_hccnet.nl schreef:
>
> > There is one sound reason NOT to do this: opatch won't work anymore if
> > you have different installations under different users, as the
> > installer will change ownership of orainventory, of which you have
> > only one, regardless of the number of Oracle Homes used.
>
> Sybrand,
>
> this is nonsense.
> Your orainventory directory is pointed to by means of
> the oraInst.loc file.
> The location of this file, in turn, can be specified
> when installing - even when using opatch.
>
> In short: several oraInst.loc files, different oraInventories.
> Just make sure you never, ever forget to specify it, or else
> the default will be used...
>
> Now, whether this is a wise thing to do, is another story. But
> there are situations thinkable in which it is common to have
> several inventories, under different owners.
> Cold failover clusters would be one.
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

Word. I've used multiple oraInst files for such a purpose. It makes it easy to separate OH and their inventory from others on the same system; say, if you had to pick it up and move it to a new host.

Nevertheless, you can use different oracle owners on the same system.... just read the install doc. W/o screwing around with the inventory (which technically isn't supported, I believe, but I've never had a problem), just make sure your oracle owners all belong to the same inventory group (oinstall, or whatever you've decided on). Received on Sat Apr 07 2007 - 22:19:13 CDT