Re: installation problem 9i

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 10:57:17 +0200

On 7 Apr 2007 01:31:40 -0700, "oracle.me34_at_gmail.com" <oracle.me34_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>We had an installation of 10G R2 under different user and home
>directories. We installed the 9i using a different user and different
>home directories for the installation. After the installation the
>listener which was set up by the previous 10G installation start not
>to work. When I connect 9i database using sqlplus and try to startup I
>got ORA-7217 error. I checked all my environmet variables and I am not
>missing any of the ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID.
>
>Has anyone had such a problem before ?
>
>RHEL3
There are no sound reasons for installing different versions of Oracle under different Unix users.
There is one sound reason NOT to do this: opatch won't work anymore if you have different installations under different users, as the installer will change ownership of orainventory, of which you have only one, regardless of the number of Oracle Homes used. Please reconsider.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA