Re: Another oracle resource goes down the drain

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 5 Apr 2007 16:09:08 -0700

On Apr 5, 8:39 am, Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM_ME...._at_verizon.net> wrote:
> I was not overly active on this forum, traditionally I was more
> active on the oracle list (oracl..._at_freelists.org). Recently, however,
> oracle-l was swamped by the people who thought it to be either a
> free online manual or an ego boosting tool.
> Steve Adams, who some might remember as a writer of on Oracle 8i
> internals book long time ago allowed that to become extremely boring
> place on which political correctness is more important then oracle.
> He wrote me, the following:
> "Hi Mladen,
>
> I regard your response to Mark Brady to be a flame, unprofessional and
> offensive. I have therefore suspended your posting privilege. I had not
> yet seen that when I sent the previous note.
>
> Yes it is right to contradict obviously incorrect and harmful advice, but
> you will need to learn to do so without making personal remarks.
>
> Regarding the migratepv question, it was clearly not a joke. The author
> is clueless and needs help. Your having fun at his expense does not
> qualify as help. It is just offensive."
>
> Mark Brady is an idiot who advised a guy complaining about a problem with
> "re-creating temporary table within PL/SQL procedure" to create a DDL
> trigger. Now, we have all seen a lot of guys trying to make Oracle behave
> like SQL server and the only real advice is to re-engineer the
> application. I asked Brady why does he feel qualified to dispense advice
> when he obviously knows not what he's doing and that has earned me a
> suspension from the list.
>
> The list is obsolete, the stars of the list, like Jonathan Lewis and Kevin
> Closson haven't been seen there for a long time, now spending the majority
> of the time on their own blogs. In the era of blogs, oracle-l became
> obsolete and unnecessary, just like Steve's book or his Ixora site, still
> mostly about 8i. The line was crossed when he sided with the guy who has
> obviously dispensed an incorrect advice in the name of political
> correctness.
>
> The list was obsoleted by blogs of the main contributors and Steve was
> obsoleted by life. That is not only a sad end of a once great resource,
> it is also a sad end of a once good oracle professional who turned into
> a patronizing prick of a "moral majority" type. He doesn't do any notable
> Oracle work any more, his site and his book are obsolete, but he does
> enforce his understanding of good behavior.
> BTW, for all those interested, the "migratepv" guy had a question "has
> anyone used migratepv to migrate things outside of oracle". Migratepv
> is an AIX LVM command which migrates physical volume to another
> destination(s), very useful when migrating things to another place within
> SAN or to another SAN. My reply was "what is outside oracle" and "are we
> alone"?
> For better or for worse, I've finally had it with the oracle-l, the list
> which prefers political correctness over interesting technology and I will
> [...]

An ego boosting tool? At least we don't have any people on cdos like that.

I never took the time to subscribe to oracle list but maybe this is a wake up call.

I think all of the "user supplied" support forums are struggling with a lot of people that ask questions without taking any time to research already supplied answers.

Does that reflect more on the quality of paid for oracle support or the availability of free fully functional downloads from oracle or some interaction of the two factors? ( Well I have some more opinions on oracle support ... perhaps aggravated what I see in certain platform specific bugs that don't get fixed or come back again and again ... ).

I guess the question for you that I have is are you committed to actively trying to help people on cdos now or do you just want to be able to complain about stupid questions?

There's always the choice of "scrolling on by".

I usually try to keep a good attitude only sometimes aggravated by the posturing.

Why don't you take a look at the past 20 or so items you have put out here on cdos. Are most of these conributions in the spirit that you intend to move forward with here? Received on Thu Apr 05 2007 - 18:09:08 CDT