Re: SQL: Working with huge tables of chronological data

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 14:37:00 -0700

John wrote:

>> Is this the real problem or a simplification?

> It's a simplification but not that much. The real problem involves
> user_ids but this part can be skipped here.
>
>> Is this something that will be run once or repeatedly?

> Only once.
>
>> Is it possible for the same time to be in A and B?

> No, A and B are completely different data.
>
>> Is it possible to have a B before an A beginning the sequence?
>> Is it possible for there to be multiple Bs between As?

> Yes everything is possible, A events and B events happen
> independently.
>
> Thanks for being interested in my problem!
>
> John

Charles seems to have provided a good starting point for you. The reason for all my questions is that without knowing the business rules, now clear, it would be easy to point you in the wrong direction.

But I take issue, at least in theory, with your response that the same times can not occur in A and B. They are are independent ... why not?

HTH

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington