Re: Oracle Health & Statistics

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2007 13:54:01 -0700

On Apr 5, 7:26 am, "Bobby" <bobby.ow..._at_talktalk.net> wrote:
> On 5 Apr, 15:20, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Hi,
>
> > > We don't have any Oracle DBAs. Some of our customer use Oracle backend
> > > databases for certain applications, but again do not have DBAs onsite.
> > > By us implementing this feature in our software, we can alert certain
> > > people within their company before problems arise and users start to
> > > suffer. I know this doesn't sound an ideal scenario, but thats why I
> > > thought it best to ask the oracle experts in their own news groups
>
> > > Regards
>
> > > Bobby- Hide quoted text -

> > I like this approach. You sell a product, probably database neutral,
> > you don't have any Oracle DBAs (you want to build something, not using
> > any of the many products already available, which you obviously don't
> > know), and now you come here for *free* advice on reinventing the
> > wheel.
> > Software vendors get more and more lack of scruples nowadays!
> > If you don't have any inhouse Oracle knowledge I would recommend
> > hiring a consultant, instead of misusing this newsgroup.
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

> Ok, I'll rephrase the question to see if i get any better responses.
> If "you" were asked to look at an Oracle server and see how well it
> was running, what items would you generally look at?
>
> We may end up getting an oracle consultant in, but instead of forking
> out all that money up front, i thought i'd ask online. Just as, if
> someone asks me a question regarding my expertise, then I will try my
> best to answer them. And yes, I often do give "free" advice which
> would often cost the other person lots of money if they'd got a
> consultant in

I'm with Sybrand and hpuxrac, but I'd add http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/statspac.htm . It's in many versions, and easy to deal with. Note that some smart people think it is useless. But I think it is better than nothing, and came out of the old thinking that gave us health checks and cache hit ratios, so you can probably grok it. As long as you don't think it can replace a DBA or proper administration and tuning, and realize that not all problems stem from the database.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
If you were asked to look at a teenage girl and see how healthy she