Re: 10G tns questions

From: GS <GS_at_GS.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 19:30:17 GMT

frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com wrote:

> On 3 apr, 21:00, GS <G..._at_GS.com> wrote:
>

>>Frank van Bortel wrote:

>>>Hold it - service_name is not something you invent; it's the SID
>>>of the instance, with it's db_domain attached to it.
>>>You can query these - or take a look in your pfile
>>>(create pfile='...' from spfile;)

>>>I'm confused about your setup; can you post details about:
>>>1) Oracle product
>>>2) what version of 1)
>>>3) path to oracle home of every 1)
>>
>>Ok, this is what has transpired so far:
>>
>>Installed 10GR2 sans starter db on a workstation runnin XP pro as a test box
>>
>>Installed Grid control and let it create the emrep repository database
>>
>>IIRC this left me with two Oracle homes under the c:\oracle\product
>>directory 10.1.0/em_1 and 10.2.0/db_1
>>
>>Installed latest patch to the db_1 home
>>
>>Created new database with DBCA, from scratch (custom), not using datafiles
>>
>>so now under my c:\oracle I have:
>>\admin\emrep\bdump,cdump etc.
>>\oradata\emrep\<datafiles>
>>\10.1.0\em_1\bin,database,rdbms,network etc.
>>\10.2.0\db_1\bin,database,rdbms,network etc.
>> \oradata\<newdb>\<datafiles>
>> \admin\newdb\bdump,cdump,etc.
>>
>>path to each oracle home is:
>>
>>c:\oracle\product\10.1.0\em_1
>>c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1
>>
>>I got the alter system set service_name=newdb.mydomain.net idea from a
>>thread on one of the forums in OTN, but I've never used it (alter system
>>set service_names=) before. As I said, the service name in the emrep
>>database had the domain appended to it, the newdb did not for some
>>reason, in any case I dont think this was/is the problem. When I look at
>>the spfile with wordpad it says service_names=newdb.mydomain.net
>

> Switch to a command line interface (CLI), and:
> c: <enter>
> cd \oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin
> set ORACLE_SID=newdb
> sqlplus system/manager (or whatever password you use)
>
> Does that work without the tns-12xxx errrors?
> If so, please post the contents of:
> c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\sqlnet.ora
> c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\listener.ora
> c:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
> c:\oracle\product\10.1.0\em_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora

Because my time window was getting tight, I uninstalled everything Oracle from the machine and resinstalled database software only, patched to 10.2.0.3, create database and imported data. Tns connections are fine now, from both remote 9i clients and the local 10g client. Not the way I like to fix things, but it worked.

In the meantime the new server was ready, so I installed and patched the database software to it, created the database and imported data. We'll use that as a testbed until its ready to go into prod then just to another new import. I tried reinstalling grid control on the first box, but it complained and bitched when it tried to run the various config assistants. So I blew every trace of oracle off the machine and from the registry and will try again. Only this time I will be using the machine mostly for a management server/Grid control useage, but I do want to put the database software on it as well so I can put a test db on it if I need to, so I'll see if the same problems come up.

thanks for your help! Received on Thu Apr 05 2007 - 14:30:17 CDT