Re: Another oracle resource goes down the drain

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala.SPAM-ME.NOT_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 21:04:12 +0200 (CEST)

Here is an example of the post from oracle-l today:

"In the Oracle documentation, it indicates that the only parameter needed
for enabling share servers is to set the ‘SHARED_SERVERS’ parameter to a non zero value. If the ‘DISPATCHERS’ parameter is neglected, Oracle will instantiate 1 dispatcher by default to handle shared server traffic.

 My SHARED_SERVER parameter is set to ‘2’ and my DISPATCHERS parameter is set to “(protocol=TCP)”. Nonetheless, I cannot connect to the server with anything but dedicated connections (verified by querying the v $sessions view).

I have nothing in my sqlnet.ora file or my tnsnames.ora file that would force a dedicated connection to the server."

Of course, he doesn't specify version or which documentation did he look into. I surmised it was "My Pet Goat", also read by other great minds in the critical situations. He didnt even bother to look for the default value of the "dispatchers" parameter (the one having "XDB" in the service name). Had he done that, he would have noticed that there is this little thing called "service" in the dispatcher string. Activating trace or investigating the problem would be beneath him, he opened "My Pet Goat", found no solution and went to the list. Of course, there will be an army of "experts" telling him to "do tnsping". I bet nobody will bother asking him what does he need shared servers for, in the first place. All books, Tom Kyte's among others, tell people that MTS is just for the special situations. Do you really think that wasting time on the presidential material, like the author of the pearl above is worth remaining on the list? Steve Adams prefers guys like that on the list over me, thus ruining the list, at least for me. The title of this brilliant post is
"Shared Server" and can easily be inspected by visiting
www.freelists.org.

--
http://www.mladen-gogala.com