Re: Oracle Health & Statistics

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 5 Apr 2007 06:57:39 -0700

On Apr 5, 9:30 am, "Bobby" <bobby.ow..._at_talktalk.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I know you're probably all fed up of newbie questions and
> vagueness regarding checking health of an Oracle server/database. But
> hopefully you'll forgive me for this one.
>
> I've been tasked with writing a generic component for doing an "Oracle
> Health Check" as well as a "SQL Server Health Check". The purpose of
> this is to add to our SLA system so that DBAs are informed when there
> are performance issues, or other "potential" problems. I am fine with
> SQL Server as i am very familiar with it, but have only just started
> looking at Oracle.
>
> Yes, this is very vague also and I apologise. I've looked through
> various documentation and there seems to be an overwhelming amount of
> information in places such as v$stat, v$lock. Loads of information
> regarding cache hit ratios, CPU time, etc.
>
> What i've decided to to is ask all of you expert DBAs in this posting
> for a recommendation of the top (possibly about 5 to 10) most common
> and useful stats/performance checks I can do on an Oracle database (or
> server). This will be generic as we cannot really build in
> functionality for all database schemas, usages, etc. Could anyone
> possibly let me know which figures may be useful in most installations
> of Oracle.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> Bobby

Two reponses.

  1. The idea that in oracle you can look at and decide if there are problems by looking at 4 or 5 performance statistics has been mostly erased. I recommend that you purchase and read Cary Millsap's book "Optimizing Oracle Performance" along with Tom Kyte's "Expert Oracle Database Architecture" to get some background adequate to help put some scope and context around what you have been tasked to do.
  2. If you are going to go ahead and do something generic anyway despite my cautions in #1 you will want to know if the database is "up", if it is accepting new connections, and if it can execute and return a result to some sample query within a pre-ordained period of time. ( Of course if you code it to overwhelm the database with new connections and flood the database with useless sample queries you won't help the performance so some judgement is called for here ).