Re: Q: how to time a transaction

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Apr 2007 04:03:43 -0700

On Apr 4, 3:40 pm, "eAddict" <eAdd..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been requested to monitor EVERY transaction for how long it
> takes to run/complete. I know you can trace individaul transactions
> but is there a way to get each one? How would I time how long it
> takes from request to reply?
>
> Thanks!
> Vince

What is the definition of a transaction in this regard? You technically *can* grab every database transaction (until you run out of space which will happen in a very short period of time indeed) by setting timed_statistics to true and sql_trace to true in the init.ora/ spfile for all the instances in your system. You'd also need to set the max dump size to unlimited.

I sincerely doubt however that that is what the requestor wants, or that you could analyse it and produce the report in your lifetime. They probably think that they want to monitor every business transaction (which maybe, probably is, several Oracle transactions) - the way to do this is to ensure that the application code is correctly instrumented - since you have to instrument at the layer that defines the transaction. This is possible (since Oracle do it as documented), but rarely done.

Even if your application is properly instrumented, I find it extremely hard to understand why a request to monitor and time every transaction would be made, if you didn't have the time requirement I'd guess auditing was being asked for, the art of monitoring and recording is to focus on the things that matter - sometimes this can be hard to define (maybe it's whatever the chief exec has a bee in their bonnet about today, maybe its the transactions of highest value) but it should *be* defined before setting up monitoring.

So in summary I'd go back and determine what the rationale for the request is and then look at monitoring the most important transactions at the level at which they are defined.

cheers
Niall Received on Thu Apr 05 2007 - 06:03:43 CDT