Are multiple extents still a problem with LMT?

From: Andy Kent <andykent.bristol1095_at_virgin.net>
Date: 4 Apr 2007 04:24:30 -0700

I'm going to migrate the tablespaces of an old 8i/w2k database I've inherited from DMT to LMT as a first shot in addressing seriously degraded performance in queries that have to go to disk.

I need to decide whether to allow for table rebuilding in the downtime I ask for. The whole database is under a Gig but everything has been created with 64k blocks and a couple of tables have run to several thousand extents. Will LMT eliminate most of the effects of extent fragmentation or are undersized table extents going to create a similar performance hit? The box only has the one disk so things are always going to be messy to some degree.

Andy Received on Wed Apr 04 2007 - 06:24:30 CDT