Re: 10G tns questions

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:10:33 +0200

GS schreef:
> frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com wrote:

>> On 3 apr, 15:49, GS <G..._at_GS.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I checked the sqlnet, I am not using NTS and it is set at NONE. I am a
>>> little confused on why Oracle has set up with 2 homes and am wondering
>>> it there is a conflict with the path somewhere. When I type in lsnrctl
>>

>> You're on Windows... Windows cannot switch profilesa s *ixes can.
>> But you can (permanently, or temporarely) change your path - just
>> make sure your 10G direcotries are named before the 9i.
>>

>>> from a prompt I get an early version for some reason, 9.0.1.4.1, and it
>>> won't start, just returns TNS-12538,12560 and 00508, if I go the the bin
>>> directory of the newest home for the database I just installed I get
>>> version 10.2.0.3.0 and it wont start from the prompt (times out), but it
>>> will start from windows services tab but now is not showing any
>>> services. Some kind of weirdness happened with one of the installs I
>>> think. Was thinking this would be a quick find & fix but it looks like I
>>> may have to open a SR..
>>

>> Your listener version should be the one with the server; if you have
>> two
>> or more instances, use the highest avaibale version of the listener.
>>
>> Isn't a firewall causing trouble? You're on windows...
>>

> Not the firewall, and local connections thru the listener are failing or
> working the same as remote connections and 9i isn't installed on this
> machine. The Oracle home first in the path is the 10.1.0/em_1 home, and
> it's version of listener is 9.xx it seems. I can connect to the emrep db
> fine thru the listener, and it is set up identical to the new install.
> I've tried using service name, SID, and all the usual variations to no
> avail. I did check the service name db parameter and notices that it did
> not have the domain attached to it, so I changed the service name in
> tnsnames to match, still nothing, then did an alter system set
> service_name=dbname.my.net and made sure it matched the tnsnames - still
> nothing, in any event I've always been able to use SID in tnsnames but
> not this time.

Hold it - service_name is not something you invent; it's the SID of the instance, with it's db_domain attached to it. You can query these - or take a look in your pfile (create pfile='...' from spfile;)

> When I shut down the listener and try to start the (10.2.0.3)one in the
> 10.2.0\bin directory it wont start, just gives a tns-12560 protocol
> adapter error. I've been googling this to death and going in circles, I
> hate these niggling little annoyances that consume so much time..
>
> I'm thinking now I should have patched before installing grid control or
> creating the repository db, but I should run the patch on the
> 10.2.0/em_1 home in any case so I will see what happens then

I'm confused about your setup; can you post details about:

1) Oracle product
2) what version of 1)
3) path to oracle home of every 1)
--