Problem repeating a query within an ADO Transaction

From: CJM <cjmnews04_at_REMOVEMEyahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:48:29 +0100

I have a fairly simple ASP application talking to an Oracle 10g DB using a mixture of ADO (OraOLEDB) and OO4O - the query here concerns some ADO code.

One part of the application records PartNo/SerialNo combinations; the user specifies a PartNo, a SerialNo and the parent PartNo - the parent takes the SerialNo from the child object - and the application INSERTs these as records into the DB.

Amongst the validation, is a check to confirm that each PartNo/SerialNo combination has not be used before. This code seems to work fine. Clearly, if the user enters the same PartNo for both the child and parent items, the DB would ordinarily complain:

"ORA-00001: unique constraint (IFSAPP.PART_SERIAL_CATALOG_PK) violated ORA-06512" However, I'm expecting the validation routines to handle this clash before the INSERT statement is attempted. Unfortunately, in this type of scenario this is not the case - the validation routine responds that the parent PartNo/SerialNo has not been used before, and thus the INSERT is attempted and the unique constraint error occurs.

I assume that this is because previous INSERTs were not committed since the whole operation is wrapped up within an ADO transaction. However, I would have expected that the validation code would have taken an changes made within the transaction into account, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

Is my logic wrong, or should I be expecting the validation to consider previous statements within the same transaction? If my expectations are correct, where might I be going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Selected code snippets:
- ASP: Function SerialExists (sSerialNo, sPartNo)  Dim iResult, bResult

 With oDB
.Parameters.Add "sPartNo", sPartNo, ORAPARM_INPUT, 1
.Parameters.Add "sSerialNo", sSerialNo, ORAPARM_INPUT, 1
.Parameters.Add "iResult", 0, ORAPARM_OUTPUT
.Parameters("iResult").serverType = 1

.ExecuteSQL ("declare iResult VARCHAR2(100); Begin :iResult :=
IFSAPP.PART_SERIAL_CATALOG_API.CHECK_EXIST(:sPartNo, :sSerialNo); end;")

  SerialExists = .Parameters("iResult").Value

.Parameters.Remove "sPartNo"
.Parameters.Remove "sSerialNo"
.Parameters.Remove "iResult"

 End With
End Function

FUNCTION Check_Exist___ (

   part_no_ IN VARCHAR2,
   serial_no_ IN VARCHAR2 ) RETURN BOOLEAN IS

   dummy_ NUMBER;
   CURSOR exist_control IS

      SELECT 1
      FROM   PART_SERIAL_CATALOG_TAB
      WHERE part_no = part_no_
      AND   serial_no = serial_no_;

BEGIN
   OPEN exist_control;
   FETCH exist_control INTO dummy_;
   IF (exist_control%FOUND) THEN
      CLOSE exist_control;
      RETURN(TRUE);

   END IF;
   CLOSE exist_control;
   RETURN(FALSE);
END Check_Exist___; Received on Tue Apr 03 2007 - 11:48:29 CDT