Re: minimalistic oracle installation?

From: Michael L. Squires <mikes_at_familysquires.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:34:54 -0500

In article <46118880$0$17313$c3e8da3_at_news.astraweb.com>, Dirk Diggler <dirkdiggler_at_nowhere.org> wrote:
>hello,
>
>my computer is an old fashioned dual PIII 450MHz, and I was wondering if
>it is possible to install minimalistic oracle instance which main
>purpose would be to serve as dba learning environment.

I installed 10g r1 on a PIII/600 with 512MB of RAM using WhiteBox LINUX and the instructions from puschitz.com (sp?). Everything I tried worked, but very slowly. It was very easy to cause problems by assuming that the system had stopped responding when it was just slow.

WhiteBox is (or rather, was, since development is now nearly stopped) a clone of RHES3 and 4. I believe that Centos LINUX would be the current choice. There were instructions on technet.oracle.com on how to turn two PC's with a shared Firewire disk into a RAC cluster, but I didn't try that.

One trick was to create a very large swap space - my memory is that I had a 4GB swap file. I also had to translate the instructions on changing kernel parameters into something Whitebox could understand.

I would definitely not try this with MS Windows, unless you're thinking of OracleXE. I have OracleXE on this notebook (PIII/600, 384MB of RAM) and I actually did some real work on it joining two databases with 450,000 and 1,000,000 records when the system at work refused to do it (it later turned out that the work Oracle 10g server had not been patched correctly, causing weird problems).

Mike Squires Received on Tue Apr 03 2007 - 11:34:54 CDT