Re: Licensing clarification

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 3 Apr 2007 08:04:50 -0700

On Apr 3, 4:47 pm, Chuck <skilover_nos..._at_bluebottle.com> wrote:
> I've always found Oracle's licensing very confusing. Can someone please
> clarify this for me? I have enterprise edition and want to partition
> tables and indexes. Is it included or a separately licensed option?
> Several documents on oracle.com mention partitioning as a separately
> licensed option but they don't clarify if they are talking about
> processor partitioning or table partitioning.
>
> Thanks.

It is included in a typical install, but it is not included in a typical license, ie it is a separate cost option. Note: if you have it installed, Oracle assumes you use it. If you don't use it, and you don't have a license, it is advisable to deinstall,  to avoid 'compliancy issues' (talking from experience). Obviously Oracle Partitioning is about *table* partitioning. As far as I know the 'Family' documents are not THAT unclear.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA