Re: minimalistic oracle installation?

From: Dirk Diggler <dirkdiggler_at_nowhere.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 01:39:58 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:

> Dirk Diggler wrote:

>> hello,
>>
>> my computer is an old fashioned dual PIII 450MHz, and I was wondering
>> if it is possible to install minimalistic oracle instance which main
>> purpose would be to serve as dba learning environment.
>>
>> I am not much considered about the speed and efficiency/newest version
>> of the product in this case, but achieving reasonable usage
>> parameters/waiting response times would be nice :-).
>>
>> I went through posts @google usenet archive and saw that some people
>> were running oracle 8i on their PII laptops and similar machines, but
>> unfortunately there were not much details about how they did it, what
>> could be switched off or reduced in resources, and to what limit.
>>
>> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and recommended settings as
>> well as links to documents, web pages, installation procedures etc. or
>> personal experience on the subject in question.
>>
>> thanks,
>> DD
>
> What operating system and how much RAM?
>
> My guess is that you either can't or shouldn't.

hello,

the operating system is windows 2003 n-lited version. the machine works as a workstation, stable, no problems so far. the amount of physical memory is 768MB, average usage varies from 180 to 420MB under heavy application usage.

the oracle instance really doesn't have to be fast. it will be OK if the response times are a bit longer than expected by oracle idealist administrator :-)

what scares me are the hdd space requirements.. the lower they are, the better.

thanks,
DD Received on Mon Apr 02 2007 - 18:39:58 CDT