minimalistic oracle installation?

From: Dirk Diggler <dirkdiggler_at_nowhere.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 00:52:19 +0200

hello,

my computer is an old fashioned dual PIII 450MHz, and I was wondering if it is possible to install minimalistic oracle instance which main purpose would be to serve as dba learning environment.

I am not much considered about the speed and efficiency/newest version of the product in this case, but achieving reasonable usage parameters/waiting response times would be nice :-).

I went through posts @google usenet archive and saw that some people were running oracle 8i on their PII laptops and similar machines, but unfortunately there were not much details about how they did it, what could be switched off or reduced in resources, and to what limit.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions and recommended settings as well as links to documents, web pages, installation procedures etc. or personal experience on the subject in question.

thanks,
DD Received on Mon Apr 02 2007 - 17:52:19 CDT