Re: RMAN Duplicate Command for 8.1.6.1

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 2 Apr 2007 06:14:49 -0700

On Apr 1, 6:31 pm, dbaplusp..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> David:
>
> Thanks a lot. I know in Oracle 8.1.7, RMAN added explict command for
> creating standby database
> control file, but duplicate command is available in 8.1.6.
>
> If I duplicate database (is n't database identical to production) and
> then use standby database control file using
> Oracle';s datbase comand (Instead of RMAN command), won't that work. I
> am just trying to undesratnd what is
> in duplicate command which is different from shutting down database
> and then making OS backup and
> sending it to standby site. Oracle allows a cold or hot backup to set
> initial standby database, as long as all the arcived logs for
> recpvery are copied/
>
> If RMAN's duplicate command does not work, I have another option to
> use Netbackup's alternate retsore which restores
> database on a different server (than where the backup was done) and
> then use it. I can then create a tandby controlfile on primary and
> then copy it.
>
> On Apr 1, 6:31 pm, "fitzjarr..._at_cox.net" <fitzjarr..._at_cox.net> wrote:
>

> > Comments embedded.
> > On Apr 1, 2:14 pm, dbaplusp..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > > I am stuck with using Oracle 8.1.6.1 on HP UNIX 11. I want to
> > > duplicate
> > > Primary database on HOST A to a Standby Database on HOST B.
>
> > Then do it the proper way for 8.1.6 and earlier releases by shutting
> > down the database, cloning it to your destination server, creating a
> > standby control file and implement your standby.
>
> > > For
> > > initial setup of STNADBY database I will like to use RMAN's duplicate
> > > command.
>
> > Nope, not with 8.1.6. With 8.1.7.4 or later releases you can.
>
> > > I will then create a standby control file outside of RMAN
> > > and copy to Standby database. Once standby data base is setup, I will
> > > use managed recovery to transfer archived logs from primary database
> > > to standby.
>
> > Not with RMAN and release 8.1.6.1. You need to follow the pre-RMAN
> > implementation strategy outlined earlier.
>
> > > Based on reading various Oracle manuals, it should be doable (I think
> > > in Oracle 8.1.6.1
> > > as well).
>
> > Sorry, it isn't and you should have visited otn.oracle.com and read
> > the documentation for 8.1.6 instead of reading the documentation for
> > 8.1.7.4 and later releases and expecting things to work.
>
> > > All RMAN duplicate examples show disk based backups and refer to image
> > > copies. My RMAN backups are backup sets stored on tape (using
> > > Netbackup's RMAN media manager layer). I think that duplicate command
> > > should be transparent to image copies
> > > or backup sets.
>
> > Your strategy won't work, period, due to the version of Oracle with
> > which you are 'stuck' using. And you're apparently too lazy or too
> > clueless to read the documentation for the release in question.
>
> > > Appreciate any response.

> [...]

The duplicate command in 8.1.6 will NOT work to create a standby database as it will create a regular controlfile and use it rather than create/use a standby controlfile. How often do we need to tell you that for THIS release of Oracle RMAN CANNOT create your standby database for you??

Davd Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Apr 02 2007 - 08:14:49 CDT