Re: Oracle 11g new features

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:31:16 -0700

Connor McDonald wrote:

> Matthias Hoys wrote:

>>> You've got my vote.
>>>
>>> And while they are at it perhaps announce a real kill date for
>>> LONG, LONG RAW, UNIQUE, and numerous other bits of superfluous syntax
>>> and legacy functionality.
>>> --
>>> Daniel A. Morgan
>>> University of Washington
>>> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>> (replace x with u to respond)
>>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Group
>>> www.psoug.org
>> NOOOOOOOO !!! Don't take the RBO away please !!!!! Aaaaaarrgrggghhhhh ....
>>
>> /*+ RULE */ hints forever :-)
>
> I love the marketing hype "Oracle 10g is 100% cbo"  until you trace the
> data dictionary queries, which have a remarkably high frequency of:
>
> select /*+ rule */ ....

While we are on the subject of beating up on those nice folks in Redwood Shores up I have one I'd like to put forward.

Get together with the Grid Control team and agree on what is and is not a security violation. Nothing good comes from seeing a fresh installation of a product that is immediately labeled by another product from the same company as a security violation. Execute on UTL_FILE, for example, being one of the more memorable.