Re: Big table

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 30 Mar 2007 09:34:11 -0700

Comments embedded.
On Mar 30, 8:48 am, "Isa" <isap..._at_terra.es> wrote:
> On 30 mar, 15:21, "EdStevens" <quetico_..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mar 29, 5:21 pm, isap..._at_terra.es wrote:
>
> > > Hi:
> > > I must create a table that will be have 7.000.000 rows.
> > > His size is 900 Mb, with 200 extents. Last extents have 8 Mb.
> > > Can I create the table for have less extents?
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Isa
>
> > Oracle Version?
> > OS?
> > Local or dictionary managed tablespace?
> > What problem would you expect to solve by have fewer extents?
>
> Hi:
> I have explained myself enough bad before.
> The OS is Linux. The Oracle Version is 10g Enterprise Edition Release
> 10.2.0.1.0

Your db_block_size is set to what value? The tablespace block size is set to what value? These two CAN be different. Your tablespace is locally managed (this is the default) but are the extents uniform or autoallocated? This also makes a difference in how a table is created/ extended.

> My doubt is that it's better have few extents.

Why? In older versions (such as 6 and 7) this may have been true; it isn't true any longer and a search of this newsgroup would provide that information.

> Perhaps in previous versions the thing was thus?
> I believe that in 10g it is possible to create the tables with defect
> values.

'defect values'? Please define that so we all understand what you are attempting to say.

> I don't know:I believe I would need a explanation.

And I'm asking for that explanation.

> Thanks for all,
> Isa

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Mar 30 2007 - 11:34:11 CDT