Re: dbcontrol default ports

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 13:06:45 -0700

On Mar 29, 10:48 am, "hpuxrac" <johnbhur..._at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 11:18 am, "EdStevens" <quetico_..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Oracle 10.2.0.2 on HP-UX
>
> > Two 'supposedly' identical installations of Oracle 10.2.0.2 on
> > 'supposedly' identical servers. Used dbca to gen custom db creation
> > scripts on one server. Run scripts, everything comes up fine. Copied
> > same scripts to second server and executed. Everything ran fine, but
> > we found that the dbcontrol was configured to use a different port.
> > On the first server it configured itself to use port 5500, while on
> > the second it is using 1158.
>
> > After reading some more docs, I saw that 5500 was the default for 9i,
> > and it changed to 1158 for 10g. But neither of these boxes ever saw
> > 9i. All's well that ends well, but I'm curious to find what was at
> > the root of causing the installation to select different ports on the
> > two different boxes. Can someone point me to the relevant
> > documentation?
>
> > Thanks.
>
> Did you look at the output from the emca logs?

Yes. Interesting. Both showed a series like this:

Feb 9, 2007 11:12:11 AM oracle.sysman.emcp.util.PortManager markAllUsedPorts
CONFIG: Marking HTTP port: null from /oracle/app/product/10.2.0/oc4j/ j2ee/OC4J_DBConsole

(with entries also for JMS and RMI ports)

But the first box, the one that used port 5500, went on to search for ports on the same three components at:

Feb 9, 2007 11:12:11 AM oracle.sysman.emcp.util.PortManager markAllUsedPorts
CONFIG: Marking HTTP port: 1158 from /oracle/app/product/10.2.0/oc4j/ j2ee/OC4J_DBConsole_l2000mig_tst

Note it found 1158. This file did not exist on the second box, the one that actually used 1158.

Finally, the first box appears to have settled on the ports it would acutally use:

Feb 9, 2007 11:12:11 AM oracle.sysman.emcp.util.PortManager getFreePorts
CONFIG: /oracle/app/product/10.2.0:******.********:null:TN:{}:null: {DBCONTROL_HTTP_PORT=5500, RMI_PORT=5521, JMS_PORT=5541, AGENT_PORT=3938} (The asterisks are masking server and domain names)

So it appears that it (the first install) found a config file that indicated 1158 was in use, so decided to use 5500 instead. I'm now perusing the first chapter of Enterprise Manager Advanced Configuration for further information. THanks for the lead. Received on Thu Mar 29 2007 - 15:06:45 CDT