Re: EM scheduled RMAN backup & daylight saving time

From: <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2007 07:40:51 -0700

On 29 mrt, 00:17, "Matthias Hoys" <a..._at_spam.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Oracle 10.2.0.3.0 on RHEL 4..
> A full RMAN backup was scheduled with the Enterprise Manager console, to be
> executed each night at 11:00PM GM +01.
> Time zone on the server is CEST. The backup started fine at 11:00PM (server
> time).
> Last weekend, daylight saving time kicked in, so 02:00AM became 03:00AM.
> However, the RMAN backup now started at 12:00AM server time, so this means I
> had to reschedule it at 11:00PM GM +02 to get it starting at 11:00PM (server
> time) again.
> Is this normal behaviour ? Or could this be related to the patch for the
> American DST changes ?
>
> Matthias

Assuming 11:00 PM GM means 23:00 Greenwich Mean Time, where's the problem?
You backup still starts at 23:00 GMT+1... The fact that we now call 23:00 GMT 02:00 AM
according to CEST, is something atrificial. You should have scheduled for 01:00 AM CEST, I guess.

I do not think this has anything to do with the DST patches, these were to cope
with the fact the US of A and Canada now have different DST start and end dates than
they used to have (starts middle of March instead of 1st week of April, ends mid-november,
instead of last week October, iirc). That has impact on timestamp with timezone
datatypes, and timezone calculations in general.

I'd say, The Oracle is correct - :) Received on Thu Mar 29 2007 - 09:40:51 CDT