Replicating a new table via DataGuard?

From: <carab1n3r_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2007 17:10:16 -0700

Hello,

I'm a junior level DBA, so excuse this if this is a simple question.
I've looked thru Oracle's MAA docs and anything Dataguard-related, and
I'm not finding anything WRT my question/problem.

Problem:

I have an existing Primary database that is being sucessfully replicated to another datacenter using DataGuard. We've recently made some changes to our application such that we now need to replicate an additional table (we'll call it "tablefoo") from the Primary to the Logical Standby(ie DataGuard) instance. I need to do this live, ie no downtime on either the Primary or the DataGuard instances.

On the surface, this seems trivial. Just remove the SKIP so that table "tablefoo" is replicated. But I suspect that transactions that do deletes or updates won't work, since the original data won't be in the DataGuard instance. I can't export/import because the data is too dynamic and I can't bring down the Primary (or even the DataGuard instance).

So in a nutshell, how do I start replicating a new table to an existing DataGuard instance without any downtime or data loss? Maybe I'm missing some basic functionality of DataGuard, since adding a table to be replicated seems like such an obvious task to have documented. If so, I'd love to be educated on the matter. I can't find anything that addresses this in the "Data Guard Concepts and Administration" or "SQL Apply Best Practices" or several other docs.

Thanks in advance for the advice. Received on Wed Mar 28 2007 - 19:10:16 CDT