Re: 10gR2 tru64 permissions

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:12:37 -0700

bggroups_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some problems on a TRU64 box running a 10gR2 database. They may
> all have the same cause but I can't find it.
>
> First while trying dbua to upgrade from 8i, I get at 10% an ORA-01031,
> found some notes from oracle saying the owner group of Oracle_home
> should be dba. In this box it is oinsatll. I have recursiveley
> chgreped my oracle_home, restarted my dbua but I still got the error
> message.
> Another strange thing about it is after the error message dbua seems
> to progress but very very very slowly ( 10% in ten minutes, then I
> have stopped it at 34% three hours after the db is only 400 Mo ...)
>
> Then I tried to work on an other instance on the same computer. While
> trying to connect by sqlplus using SID I got the following error
> ORA-27140: attach to post/wait facility failed. Have tried to change
> permissions to 6751 on oracle binary according to an oracle note but
> with no results .
>
> And the last and the least this other instance was running for some
> days when suddenly ( i can swear I wasn't making anything at this
> time) the connection became impossible whith error ORA-12537 TNS
> connection closed. Listner log shows :
>
> TNS-12518: TNS:listener could not hand off client connection
> TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact
> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> TNS-00517: Lost contact
> Compaq Tru64 UNIX Error: 32: Broken pipe
>

> listener trace shows :
> nsglbgetRSPidx: returning ecode=0
> sntpcall: only 0 bytes read
> sntpcall: Can't read from pipe; err[1] = 32
> nserror: nsres: id=7, op=72, ns=12547, ns2=12560; nt[0]=517, nt[1]=32,
> nt[2]=0; ora[0]=0, ora[1]=0, ora[2]=0
> nsglhe: Direct handoff errors: ns=12547, ns2=12560
>
> I have checked log size rmed it, without any effects, And then I
> have'nt had any more ideas or clues from Inet...
>
> At this time I have a database which is running but I can't find
> anyway to connect ...
>
> Looking for some possible causes to these problems, I found an undotbs
> at more than 19 Go.
>

> Seems there are a lot of permissions problems on this box. Could they
> be the cause of all the errors ?
>
> So, Am i right if I summarize the permissions in that way :
>
> oracle user belongs to dba group then oinstall.
> all directories belong to group dba.
> binaries receive 755 peremissions
> only oracle binary receives 6751
>
> If I try to fix my permissions in that way, Will i have the posibility
> to connect without restarting the computer ( It is part of a TRU64
> cluster if I restart the computer an another node will restart the
> missing services ) ...
>
> Any help in any of the problems would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards

Lots of indications that the original install ignored Oracle docs. I would recommend reviewing everything about that machine from environment variables to groups, etc. and bringing it into compliance. And RDA to Oracle asking for help might be the safest move at this point.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington