Re: RMAN level 0 complains it can't find archivelogs

From: Keith <kknauss_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2007 08:48:42 -0700

On Mar 27, 8:36 am, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 27, 1:56 pm, "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol1..._at_virgin.net>
> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 27, 12:26 pm, "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is there some way that can be circumvented with CROSSCHECK / DELETE
> > EXPIRED or similar, or is the reference to the logs outside the scope
> > of RMAN? I've implemented a recovery catalog since the missing
> > archivelogs were created, don't know if that makes a difference.
>
> > To save me doing a lengthy manual trawl (I know, I know, but the first
> > hits I got don't say much), can you tell me: is alter database open
> > resetlogs part of a more complex procedure or do I simply issue that
> > statement?
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Andy

> > > either a cold backup or an alter database open resetlogs, I am afraid.
> > > Your current archivelogs are in your controlfile,and if you don't back
> > > them up and delete them using RMAN, this error is inevitable. Usually
> > > one would add 'skip inaccessible' to a backup archivelog command, but
> > > this limits the recoverability of the database.
>
> > > --
> > > Sybrand Bakker
> > > Senior Oracle DBA- Hide quoted text -

> Alter database open resetlogs is normally issued after the database
> has been *mounted* only (for backup/recovery purposes or to relocate
> datafiles etc).
> So the typical procedure would be
> shutdown immediate
> startup mount
> alter database open resetlogs
>
> Be aware though this moment will act like 'birth'. You won't be able
> to recover the database before this moment, so you'd better make a
> cold backup (and make sure you keep that one forever).
> A cold backup can be made using RMAN, making sure the database is
> mounted only. During cold backup RMAN will ignore any archives, as you
> don't need archives to restore a cold backup.
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA

I'm pretty sure the crosscheck and delete expired will work too. Of course, if these logs are lost forever, you cannot recover any point before then, so why not open resetlogs and start with a new incarnation if you can take the downtime.

Also, FYI, if your database is in archivelog mode, you still need logs to restore the database. Typically it needs to read at least one log before opening successfully. At least this was true in 9i; I haven't tried in 10g. Received on Tue Mar 27 2007 - 10:48:42 CDT