Re: Get the RowID of the last insert

From: Sam Hwang <samhng_at_gmail.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2007 02:31:17 -0700

On Mar 26, 8:31 pm, Serge Rielau <srie..._at_ca.ibm.com> wrote:
> Sam Hwang wrote:
> > Is it RETURNING clause a proprietary statement of Oracle? If so, how
> > to achieve the same effect in MySql or Sql Server?
>
> SQL Server 2005 has a similar clause with different syntax, but the
> target must be a temp table. mySQL I do not know.
> If you try to write portable code I would refrain from ROWID all
> together. The whole concept is not covered by the SQL standard and each
> vendor has different semantics. Also you may or may not see the
> performance you expect.
> Especially the duration within which you can rely on ROWID to pin your
> row is undefined.
>
> Cheers
> Serge
>
> PS: I wasn't aware SQL Server has ROWID (?)
> --
> Serge Rielau
> DB2 Solutions Development
> IBM Toronto Lab

Oracle has a flash back feature that stores the recovery sqls of a specific transaction. It uses rowid to identify the changes of Update and Insert. I want to know if i can use the similar flash back feature in SQL server and other databases. And I found that most of time, the accounts are not granted the right of accessing the flash back table. Received on Tue Mar 27 2007 - 04:31:17 CDT