Re: Need help with tools

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:23:28 -0700

efair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been living in the MS SQL Server world for some time -- both
> developing and supporting databases. I now have to start supporting
> Oracle9i, and I know very little about it beyond sqlplus.
>
> MS includes a few tools that I use daily -- Enterprise Manager and
> Query Analyser -- and I'm wondering if there are equivalent tools in
> Oracle.
>
> Enterprise manager is a graphical tool for showing the details of
> database(s) -- table names, column names, primary keys, constraints,
> indexes, and the like.
>
> Query manager is a graphical tool for running SQL queries. It allows
> multiple windows to be open -- so that you can connect to two
> databases and run two queries against each database and keep the
> result sets in separate windows. It also supports a "grid output"
> mode that allows results to be viewed by scrolling up and down, and
> allows copy and paste into spreadsheets.
>
> Are there any similar tools included with Oracle9i?
>
> Are there any good books for people in my situation?
>
> ed

I wouldn't suggest starting with tools ... but rather with the concept docs at http://tahiti.oracle.com and a copy of Tom Kyte's latest books. Tom does an extremely good job of helping people understand the deltas.

Also run the following demo:
http://www.psoug.org/reference/mvcc.html

I would suggest not touching any part of Oracle until you understand how and why it works.

Best wishes.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington