Database link does not work with SQL Developer

From: <antonyliu2002_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 23 Mar 2007 10:44:32 -0700

We access the university Enterprise Data Warehouse (we call it the EDW) through a database link named edwlink.

We have no problem whatsoever using this edwlink with SQL*PLUS.

Look:

SQL> desc t_netid_at_edwlink;

 ----------------------------------------- -------- ----------

 EDW_PERS_ID                               NOT NULL NUMBER(9)
 NETID_PRINCIPAL                           NOT NULL VARCHAR2(50)
 NETID_DOMAIN                              NOT NULL VARCHAR2(50)
 ENTRP_ID_IND                              NOT NULL VARCHAR2(1)
 NETID_EFF_DT                              NOT NULL DATE
 NETID_POST_DT                             NOT NULL DATE

SQL> I just recently installed Oracle SQL Developer. Everything works fine with this SQL Developer except the database link.

The same query you see above turns out to be an error in SQL Developer:

ERROR: object T_NETID_at_EDWLINK does not exist.

On the left of SQL Developer main window, there is a list of object categories. If I click on the heading "Database links", I can see that edwlink is listed there. And if I right-click on edwlink, and choose Test Database Link from the pop-up menu, and then hit Apply in the following dialog box, SQL Developer does say that the database link has been successfully tested.

I googled, and hit this page:

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=1728549

It looks like other people are having the same problem, and some replies say that the database link feature is simply missing in SQL Developer.

But, if the feature is missing, then why "successfully test" it?

Any solution to this problem?

By the way, Toad for oracle applies this database link without any hassle. Received on Fri Mar 23 2007 - 12:44:32 CDT