Re: Oracle Enterprise Manager

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Mar 2007 03:55:37 -0700

On Mar 23, 11:40 am, "bomahony" <bomah..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Ive been asked to install Enterprise Manager on our solaris boxes as
> our software engineers want to be able to change the amount of memory
> oracle uses - they use EM on windows and want to use it on solaris. I
> just have a few questions on this, as i have never used EM.
>
> When i go to install it, it tells me it needs 2.5G for install with an
> existing database. this seems a bit much?
>
> It wants to install grid control with the base. What is grid control
> for?
>
> All they want is the web manager - is it possible to install this on
> one machine and manage others (either all same versions of oracle or
> multiple different versions -10.1 10.2 ect)?
>
> If all they want is the web based manager, is there just a small
> install for this?
>
> To avaoid all this messing about is there commands / settinggs file
> where i can limit the amount of memory oracle uses?
> [[IE :
> Click on the Administration Tab > Instance > Memory Parameters
>
> Select Enable - Automatic Shared Memory Management
>
> Set the Total SGA Size for Automatic Memory Management
> ]]
>
> Thanx for the help.
>
> Im running oracle 10.2, but will have to repeat the process for oracle
> 10.1)

You have Oracle Enterprise Manager for a single database called Database Control or DbControl.
Oracle Enterprise Manager for multiple databases is called GridControl.
The interface of GridControl and Database Control is a Webserver (actually Grid Control comes with Oracle Application Server) on the database server, so there is NO client install at all. Just open the appropiate URL on any browser and you can logon to Grid Control.

The equivalent of changing parameters through Grid Control would be issuing Alter system set ... = scope=both in sql*plus or isql*plus (sqlplus via a browser).

So there is no such thing as a small install, and 2.5 Gb is actually not much nowadays.

(Next question expected: How do I install Grid Control?)

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA