Re: RMAN backup strategy on 10g r2 on linux

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2007 15:09:23 -0700

On Mar 22, 9:00 am, "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol1..._at_virgin.net> wrote:
> > Would a better way of doing backups be a full weekly backup plus daily
> > incremental exports?
>
> That bit makes no sense. Full weekly backup plus daily incremental
> *backup*, yes.
>
> Andy

I would recommend a full nightly RMAN backup _and_ full nightly export, until things settle down (or actually, continued forever if you have the disk space). I can't tell you how many times an export has saved the day, and can heartily say they are useful for many things. (It may make more sense to do schema exports plus a full rows=n export).

Cristi, you definitely need to have access to a properly trained DBA until you are up to speed (which may be months). Don't let Sybrand bother you, his manner appears abrupt, but he is speaking from a great deal of experience. All of us who've been doing this a while have seen situations like yours deteriorate rapidly (and we rarely hear about any that succeed). It is certainly a _management problem_.

You may benefit from this: http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/5

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Would you rike poster suprize?" - Newbie post office clerk asked me