Re: Redo log activity

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2007 14:15:02 -0700

On Mar 21, 6:17 am, "Andy Kent" <andykent.bristol1..._at_virgin.net> wrote:
> The system I've recently inherited (10g on Linux) is generating a lot
> more redo than I would have expected. I must be missing something
> somewhere as the active sessions don't seem to be doing that much.
> What's a simple way to find out the main source(s) of the all redo
> activity?
>
> Thanks
>
> Andy

Also check to be sure someone didn't accidentally leave tablespaces in hot backup mode. That will cause additional redo to be generated because Oracle can't be sure that copying datafiles hot by an OS utility won't split blocks. RMAN doesn't have that problem, of course, but there is nothing preventing someone with privilege from placing tablespaces in backup mode regardless. So check for status of ACTIVE in v$backup.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Peabody is named after Rocky & His Friends co-producer Bill Scott's