Re: HWM - Import

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2007 11:38:03 -0700

On Mar 22, 1:47 pm, "koz" <c.mar..._at_comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm reloading all tables in a database (about 200 gig), and have
> decided to truncate and re-run the import instead of drop.
>
> Is it better to truncate with or without reuse storage parm?
>
> The data we are loading is fairly dynamic, and the number of rows may
> of increased up to 5% on about 25% of the tables.
>
> Thoughts?

The advantage of dropping storage is that if you have any objects where purges have been run or the internal structure was fragmented the truncate releases the space for other use.

You may want to consider if any of the objects are large to drop the associated indexes and to manually add them back. Importing with the indexes existing is slower for big tables than importing without the indexes and re-creating them. You could let the import recreate the indexes but if you do it manually you can also manipulate sort_area_size or other parameters when you do the rebuild.

Do not forget to code ignore=y on the imp.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Mar 22 2007 - 13:38:03 CDT