Re: RMAN backup strategy on 10g r2 on linux

From: Andy Kent <andykent.bristol1095_at_virgin.net>
Date: 22 Mar 2007 08:32:13 -0700

I would suggest you set up Enterprise Manager. If it isn't already running (e.g. if your database was created after Oracle installation was run) you can easily set it up by running DBCA. Then with a couple of clicks of a mouse you can get Oracle to set up an RMAN strategy for you - which by default just happens to be of the kind you describe (scheduled weekly full + daily incremental). In fact, there's even a check box in DBCA to set up an RMAN schedule at the same time.

Then as your understanding of RMAN increases you can tailor the jobs to suit your specific needs. The thing you will probably want to change immediately is the location for the backups - the default strategy has a habit of sticking them on the same media as your database, which of course is the proverbial chocolate fireguard.

Hardcore DBAs may scoff at Enterprise Manager but from where you are it offers a very easy way to get going. As default configs go, the Oracle-suggested strategies are not bad - probably more robust and complete than you could script yourself right now. You can tweak it all later.

Andy