Re: RMAN backup strategy on 10g r2 on linux

From: Cristi <cmit37_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2007 06:28:58 -0700

I have another script that does backup the archivelog also as described in here:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/rcmcatdb005.htm

RUN {
ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch1 TYPE
DISK FORMAT '/oracle_backup/%d_DB_%u_%s_%p.rman'; BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
RLEASE CHANNEL ch1;
}

Reading the output of that seems to do the following using the database control file:
Backup archive log backup set
Backup full datafile backup set
Including current control file in backupset Including current spfile in backupset

Since I delete all the files from the /oracle_backup folder once they are tar'ed and uploaded and for the sake of the argument totally lost this is what I believe is happening(please correct my interpretation where necessary):

  1. Archives the archivelogs from the last backup until now(so in principle I only have the archivelogs since the last backup as I deleted the old ones).
  2. Archives the actual files that store the database giving a snapshot in time of the tables and data.
  3. Archives the control file and spfile.

With this script if ran daily I should be able to fully restore a database from a single archived backup plus it will allow me to undo changes made to that instance back to up to a day using the only available archivelogs? The only data lost would be changes made to the database since the last backup? Received on Thu Mar 22 2007 - 08:28:58 CDT