Re: RMAN backup strategy on 10g r2 on linux

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 22 Mar 2007 03:27:26 -0700

On Mar 22, 11:01 am, "Cristi" <cmi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Please forgive a lot of my ignorance as I am very new to the entire
> Oracle database world. I am currently working my way through the
> "Oracle Database 10g Linux Administration" book in order to understand
> how to efficiently backup and restore our instance of the db.
>
> Unfortunately I am in a bit of a panic/tight spot as the management
> has decided to bring forward the live date of the database without
> consulting me about the state of the backup(I am in charge of backups)
> and as such I need to be able to have a temporary way of backing up
> fully the db and a simple way of doing a full restore of it should the
> hard drives fail at least until I manage to learn a bit more.
>
> I wrote a shell script that is called by cron every night. This shell
> script calls an Rman script that I found on the internet, I assume
> that the rman script does a full backup of the database and then hands
> the control back to the shell script, the shell script archives the
> rman files and uploads them to an ftp site on my backup server who in
> turn copies it to tape.
>
> The database is not expected to be too large for the next month and
> ideally I would initially like to have a way of taking full nightly
> backups that will allow me to fully restore everything in a rush
> should the hard drives fail.
>
> I have enabled Archivelog mode on the db and this is the script I
> assume does the complete backup:
>
> RUN{
> ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch1 TYPE DISK;
> BACKUP FULL TAG FULL_DB FORMAT '/oracle_backup/%d_DB_%u_%s_
> %p.backupfull.rman'(database);
> RELEASE CHANNEL ch1;
>
> }
>
> Do you think that the files it creates are enough to do a full restore
> on a blank install of oracle without the need for any other files?
> If I had to do a full restore from the created files what commands
> would I issue?
>
> Would a better way of doing backups be a full weekly backup plus daily
> incremental exports? How would you script that?
> Thank you

1 The files it creates are insufficient to do a full restore, as they don't seem to include the archivelogs.
Also one can't see whether there is an autobackup of the controlfile (and the spfile).
Without further info, I would assume there is no backup, so likely you can't restore the database at all if you loose the control file. 2 A restore procedure for a RMAN configuration without catalog is in the RMAN documentation, which you obviously try to avoid to read. It's basic steps would be
connect target <username>/<password>@service run
{
set dbid = < the database id of your database> restore controlfile;
restore database;
recover database;
}
alter database open resetlogs;
exit
For a proper restore the backups need to reside on the location where they originated or be accessible by means of NFS, without changing their names.
3 A backup procedure consisting of a full backup and daily incremental exports is of 0 value.
Not only is the incremental export technique deprecated, incremental exports don't combine with backups, as an export is a *logical* dump, whereas a backup is a *fysical* dump.
4 You may need to read up on the flash recovery area and how to backup that automatically. The procedure you included is for *8i*

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA